Governor Chris Christie’s “mobile cabinet” will be in Downe Township on March 28 to explain what resources are available to residents and businesses impacted by Hurricane Sandy, Cumberland County officials said.
Meanwhile, Christie said Tuesday he is asking the federal government for $250 million in Sandy aid to help New Jersey buy out homeowners in flood-prone areas, but he does not want to force people to sell.
Attending the Downe Township meeting will be representatives from the state Departments of Environ-mental Protection and Community Affairs, the New Jersey Business Action Center, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Small Business Authority.
Representatives from Cumberland County government and the Cumberland County Bar Association will also participate in the event, which will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Municipal Building at 288 Main St. in Downe Township’s Newport section.
Hurricane Sandy caused significant damage to communities along Delaware Bay in Downe, Maurice River, Commercial, Lawrence and Greenwich townships.
The storm destroyed homes, damaged protective dikes and washed out parts of some roads.
Speaking Tuesday before senior citizens in Lakewood, Christie for the first time indicated the scale of the buyout program he is willing to run in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
The federal money would be enough to purchase 1,000 homes valued at $250,000 each.
Christie had previously said he would only consider buyouts if entire neighborhoods would go along, and he did not want to pursue piecemeal purchases.
Some environmentalists criticized him last week for not including buyouts in a proposal to spend $1.8 billion being sent to New Jersey for unmet needs after last year’s storm.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.