Do you use the “secondary market” (StubHub, TicketsNow and others) to purchase show tickets, concert tickets, and tickets to live sporting events?
You now can earn and redeem comp dollars for these purchases, including the shipping charge and 10 percent “handling fee.” The catch is that you need to have a Total Rewards player loyalty card.
TR Live Events, a partnership between Caesars Entertainment and FanXchange, enables Total Rewards cardholders to earn Reward Credits for their ticket purchases — double credits for purchases through May 31. Increase the bonus credit multiplier to five by using a Total Rewards Visa card to buy your tickets. You’ll also receive a $50 discount on your first purchase of $250 or more.
Alternatively, you can “purchase” tickets by exchanging Reward Credits through TR Live Events. However, the redemption rate is 1:2.5, i.e., $1 = 2,500 Reward Credits, and you will not earn any bonus credits.
If you have trouble remembering all your personal identification numbers (PINs), the Golden Nugget Atlantic City offers a unique alternative. Use your thumb print to access your account at the promotional kiosks located throughout the casino.
You’ll first have to visit the 24 Karat Club to register your left thumb print. Then, each time you visit a kiosk, swipe your player card and choose “Switch To Fingerprint Login.”
Comp dollar expiration
Comp dollars at Golden Nugget now expire 365 days after they are earned. This is a change to the previous policy where comps expired 180 days after they were earned.
Other casinos where comps expire after 180 days include Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, Trump Plaza, Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort and Tropicana Casino and Resort. At Revel Casino Hotel comps (Resort Dollars) expire after 90 days; however, as long as there is activity in your account, this will extend the expiration for another 90 days (for a total of 180 days). At Resorts, comp dollars expire only if there is six months of inactivity.
Comps (Reward Credits) earned at Bally’s Atlantic City, Caesars Atlantic City, Harrah’s Resort and Showboat Casino-Hotel — and other Total Rewards casinos — expire after six months from the last date of play unless one Reward Credit is earned in this time frame. Unlike other casinos, you can continue building and extending your comp dollar balance without any actual casino play. While certain restrictions apply, here are some options:
• Show your Total Rewards card when paying cash or using your credit card on all “hospitality spends” at Caesars Entertainment casinos. You’ll earn one tier credit and one Reward Credit for every dollar you spend. (Previously, Total Rewards cardholders received one tier credit for every $5.) Hospitality items include hotel rooms and most everything charged to the room, e.g., restaurants, drinks, participating retail shops, etc.
• Shop at the Total Rewards Marketplace once every six months.
• Visit the Caesars Casino game application on Facebook and purchase $20 or more coins for premium play.
• Apply for the Total Rewards Visa and earn Reward Credits through purchases.
Golden Nugget has free self-parking through June, and Revel Casino-Hotel is offering free self-parking through the end of May.
With the closing of 6ix a Bistro at Bally’s, the Diamond Lounge will expand the number of days it’s open to Wednesdays and Thursdays. The lounge will open these extra days at 2 p.m., with last entry at 7:30. In addition, Pickles — Bally’s Boardwalk deli that generally opens only during the summer — is now open and serves breakfast.
Ask Mr. AC Casino
Q. One of your fellow columnists, John Grochowski, wrote about new forms of bonusing that are not part of a slot machine game, but are generated separately. Do any Atlantic City casinos offer these promotions?
A. Some of the specific programs John mentions are not in use, but at least six casinos offer similar experiences that take place in all or a portion of the card reader screen, or sometimes a portion of the slot machine’s monitor:
• Periodically, Borgata offers “Mystery Free Play” with a virtual scratch-off feature and, most recently, has introduced “The Ultimate Spin.” With all these games, your winnings are loaded automatically to your Bonus Slot Dollars, and must be played that same gaming day.
• At the Golden Nugget certain days feature virtual horse races, as well as virtual NASCAR races. The races take place only at the top of specific hours and require $25 coin-in prior to each race in order to qualify. In honor of the Triple Crown, there are two remaining special $200,000 horse races May 17 and June 7 at 11 a.m., and 1, 3, 5 and 7 p.m. Other “Golden Stakes” races are scheduled every Wednesday in May at 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 p.m. Also Golden Nugget sometimes offers a Spin-2-Win promotion where players can win up to $1,000 in free play.
• Revel Casino-Hotel periodically runs a Bonus Wheel promotion. It’s similar to Borgata’s Ultimate Spin. Once you earn five Resort Dollars a virtual wheel automatically appears on your card reader screen. Press it to win anywhere from $10 to $500 in free play. Revel uses similar technology to offer Bonus Blast Progressive Jackpots. This month Bonus Blast Progressive Jackpots will be offered from noon to 10 p.m. May 14, 21 and 28.
• Total Touch — at Bally’s, Caesars and Harrah’s Resort — has the capability to offer bonus free play to selected players who earn a designated amount of tier credits during a certain period of time. Free play also can be awarded using specially assigned three-digit codes which you enter after keying in your PIN. On certain days, just inserting your player card will initiate a designated amount of free play into your account. To claim it, though, you must enter your PIN and download all of it, or in selected increments.
Recreational gambler Darryl D. McEwen, a former professional journalist, is president of his own consulting firm that manages several small national and international trade associations, and provides public relations and fundraising services for a number of charitable organizations. Have a comment on this or a question specifically related to an Atlantic City casino, players club or other promotion? Email Mr. AC Casino at MrACCasino@gmail.com and he’ll try to respond to you personally. Your question — without your name — may appear in a future column.