First, the obvious … watermelon is maybe summer’s most refreshing treat, and it’s perfectly acceptable to dig into chilled chunks of juicy red melon any time of the day. The not-so obvious? Watermelon also makes a pretty tasty cocktail. Here are five of our favorite ways to spike a watermelon, rind not included.
1. Watermelon Wheat. Grab a growler of Cape May Brewing Company’s Watermelon Wheat Fruit Beer before you head to your next picnic. With nearly a ton-and-a-half of watermelons used in the batch, this seasonal brew is being released Thursday, Aug. 10. Be sure to try its variations: Watermelon Mint and Salty Watermelon at the release party from 5 to 9 p.m. Located at 1288 Hornet Road in Cape May. Go to CapeMayBrewery.com for more.
The world-famous Harlem Globetrotters are bringing their one-of-a-kind basketball back to th…
2. Watermelon Martini. Head to Bonefish Grill in Egg Harbor Township for a fresh watermelon martini, made with hand-muddled watermelon, house-infused English cucumber and Fris vodka infusion, garnished with none other than frozen watermelon cubes. Yum! Located at 3121 Fire Road in Egg Harbor. Go to BonefishGrill.com.
3. Watermelon Kiwi Margarita. Margaritas scream summertime fun. Add some watermelon and that scream might just break glass. The Continental has a refreshing Watermelon Kiwi Margarita, made with CasaMigos Blanco, watermelon, kiwi, agave nectar and lime with a volcanic salt rim. Located at 1 Atlantic Ocean in Atlantic City. Go to ContinentalAC.com.
4. Watermelon Mojito. It’s hard to find a cocktail connoisseur who doesn’t love a mojito. But the Watermelon Mojito, also known as the “Sandito” at Cuba Libre, takes the cake. With Brinley Gold Shipwrecked Spiced Rum and Fresh Watermelon Juice, it’s summer in a glass. Located at 2801 Pacific Ave. in Atlantic City. Go to CubaLibreRestaurant.com.
Heading out for a date can be an expensive endeavor. As much as it can be fun to splurge on …
5. All Things Watermelon. We’ve found a place that appreciates watermelon as much as we do — The Reeds at Shelter Haven in Stone Harbor, where they are hosting their fifth annual Reeds & Seeds Watermelon Festival. The event includes a variety of watermelon cocktails, as well as a messy-but-fun watermelon-eating contest from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 15. Located at 9601 Third Ave. in Stone Harbor. Go to ReedsatShelterHaven.com for more.