LANDOVER, Md. - Greetings from FedEx Field, where the Eagles are about to begin the Chip Kelly Era against the Washington Redskins.
Defensive end Vinny Curry was the biggest surprise among the inactives for the game. He enjoyed a solid preseason and had seemed to work his way into the rotation with starters Cedric Thornton and Fletcher Cox, plus backup Clifton Geathers.
The list also included rookie quarterback Matt Barkley, cornerback Shaun Prater, tackle Matt Tobin, tackle Dennis Kelly and tight end Emil Igwenagu.
Also, the Eagles confirmed that they released cornerback Brandon Hughes on Saturday. Hughes was sidelined with a broken hand.
Here are a few players to keep an eye on tonight. Enjoy the game.
1. Tackle Lane Johnson: The Eagles' first-round draft pick will be starting at right tackle. He has the challenge of protecting quarterback Michael Vick's blind side.
2. Tight end James Casey: Kelly kept Casey under wraps during the preseason, but he's expected to play a major role in the offense as a tight end and hybrid back.
3. Outside linebacker Trent Cole: He's been forced to make the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker in the Eagles' new 3-4 defense. The results were mixed in the preseason.
4. Cornerback Cary Williams: His biggest challenge tonight will be controlling his temper. He was banished from a joint practice with the Patriots for fighting, got into a tussle with Carolina's Steve Smith in the preseason, and most recently had a scuffle with Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper last week.
5. Punter Donnie Jones: The NFL veteran beat out rookie Brad Wing for the starting job based on a solid performance in the preseason.