Eagles coach Andy Reid's suspicion that the death of his oldest son, Garrett, was drug-related was confirmed Thursday by the Northampton Count (Pa.) district attorney and coroner's office.
District Attorney John Morganelli announced during a televised news conference that Garrett Reid's death on Aug. 5 in his dorm room at Lehigh University during Eagles training camp was due to an accidental heroin overdose.
Garrett Reid, 29, had been battling a heroin addiction for years. He was attending Eagles training camp as a volunteer assistant with the Eagles strength and conditioning staff.
Lehigh University Police officers responded to a 9-1-1 call at 7:20 a.m. and found Reid in his room at the Sayre Park dorms. All of the Eagles players and most of the coaches stay there during training camp. An autoposy and toxicology tests performed by Northampton Co. Coroner Zachary Lysek found heroin in Reid's system. Police officers found drug paraphernalia in the room, including a needle, spoon and syringes.