Officials in Northampton County (Pa.) announced Monday that Garrett Reid, Eagles coach Andy Reid's eldest son, had steroids in his dorm room at Lehigh University when he died of a heroin overdose on Aug. 5.
Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli told the Associated Press and other media outlets that authorities found 19 vials of anabolic steroids. He also had 64 needles and 47 syringes in a gym bag that was discovered in the room.
Morganelli said the vials contained testosterone priopionate, bodenone undecylenate, nandrolone phenyl propionate and tremboling acetate.
"As you all know, my son Garrett battled addiction for many years," Andy Reid said Monday in a statement released by the Eagles. "While there were some victories along the way, it ultimately was a battle that he lost and that cost him his life. Our family feels the pain of that loss every day.
"Today's report saddens me greatly, but only confirms the troubles Garrett encountered in the final years of his life. As parents, we were encouraged by his apparent progress but, like many addicts, he was able to conceal the signs of relapse."
Garrett Reid, 29, was attending training camp as a volunteer assistant with the Eagles' strength and conditioning staff. There was no evidence that he was giving steroids to any Eagles players or where he obtained them.
"(Owner) Jeffrey Lurie, the Eagles organization and the people of Philadelphia have been remarkably supportive of my family throughout our ordeal," Andy Reid said in his statement. "I am confident that my son’s decisions did not affect our football team in any way. I cannot apologize enough for any adverse appearances that my son's actions may have for an organization and a community that has been nothing but supportive of our family."