The Atlantic County Improvement Authority has awarded $250,000 in funding to six municipalities for redevelopment projects.
The funding will be divided among the pool of municipalities and their projects, officials said.
The redevelopment projects:
• Ongoing plans for the revitalization of more than 200 acres in Absecon, with access to and enjoyment of Absecon Creek and surrounding tidal marsh areas.
• The rehabilitation of 96.7 acres, known as the Tower Site, for possible residential and student housing and other uses in Egg Harbor City.
• The restoration of the American Legion building in the Mays Landing section of Hamilton Township for residential or commercial use.
• A project in Northfield for the creation of a Special Improvement District to encourage private investment in commercial properties.
• A mixed-use project in the Lakes Bay area of Pleasantville for residential housing and restaurant use.
• Commercial improvements in Port Republic to properties in the vicinity of Chestnut Neck and Clarks Landing Road.
“Atlantic County is taking the initiative to promote redevelopment, since we cannot rely on the state to do so,” said Atlantic County Executive Dennis Levinson.
The ACIA said there are ample opportunities for redevelopment in Atlantic County that can help transform underutilized and distressed areas into economically viable and productive assets.
“We look forward to working with these towns to promote redevelopment with the use of proven strategies and experienced professionals,” stated John Lamey, the ACIA’s executive director.
Levinson said redevelopment creates jobs, generates ratables, improves infrastructure and eliminates blight.
“These are just the type of projects that can serve to jump start economic recovery within our communities, he said.
The ACIA funding will help each of the six municipalities advance its designated project with the assistance of professional consultants as needed, including legal counsel, financial advisers and land-use planners and engineers, according to a news release.
As part of the process to award the funding, the ACIA will establish a pool of professionals to participate in the program and then solicit quotes for each project from the pool for potential contract agreements for specific services.
Contact: 609-513-6686 DWeaver@pressofac.com