Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman Sheldon Adelson, whose net worth grew to $38 billion in 2013, returned to the top 10 of the Forbes List of the World’s Billionaires for the first time since 2007.

Adelson, 80, who owns 53 percent of the company that operates casinos in Las Vegas, Macau, Singapore and Pennsylvania, added $11.5 billion to net worth in the past year.

According to Forbes, Adelson earned an average of $32 million a day last year, third most of anyone on the planet.

Investor Kirk Kerkorian, 96, who founded the predecessor of MGM Resorts International, was the next highest-ranking Nevada gambling industry representative on the list, coming in at No. 328 with a net worth of $4.5 billion.

Wynn Resorts Ltd. Chairman Steve Wynn,72, was No. 396 on the list with a net worth of $3.8 billion. His former wife, Elaine Wynn, 70, who is a director with Wynn Resorts, was No. 642 on the list with a net worth of $2.7 billion.

Other Nevadans with ties to the gambling industry on the list included Frank Fertitta III, 52, and Lorenzo Fertitta, 45, the brothers who control Station Casinos and the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

They were tied at No. 1,284 on the list with having a net worth of $1.3 billion.

Union contract

The Tropicana said Thursday it reached tentative agreement on a five-year labor contract with Culinary Local 226 and Bartenders Local 165, covering some 650 nongambling employees at the Strip resort.

The deal with between the hotel and the negotiating committee still needs to be ratified by the employees.

The Tropicana is the first independent hotel-casino to reach agreement with the unions on a new five-year contract to replace deals that expired in June 2013.

The unions had previously reached deals covering casinos operated by MGM Resorts International and Caesars Entertainment that cover nearly 20 Strip resorts.

The Tropicana deal comes as union members prepare to vote on a strike authorization that could lead to walkouts at several Strip and downtown hotel-casinos.

The economic package, agreed to by both parties, mirrors what was agreed to with MGM Resorts and Caesars.

Workers will keep their health insurance.

Also, changes were negotiated for food and beverage operations to allow for flexibility in closed and distressed venues with the goals of reopening shops and bringing workers back to their jobs.

Hotel hiring

The Cromwell, a new Strip property owned by Caesars Entertainment, will fill more than 1,000 open positions at hiring events throughout March.

The boutique hotel at Flamingo Road and Las Vegas Boulevard South, which is opening Memorial Day weekend, will hire for positions in hotel operations, food and beverage, housekeeping, environmental services supervisor, nightlife and table games. Job applications are online at

The Cromwell, once the Barbary Coast, will feature 188 rooms and suites, a 40,000-square-foot casino, hotel lobby bar, lounge, restaurant, nightclub and 65,000-square-foot rooftop pool.

Drunken claim

A man who lost $500,000 playing table games at a Las Vegas casino on Super Bowl weekend is trying to get his money back, claiming he was too drunk.

California retiree Mark Johnston is suing the Downtown Grand, saying it loaned him money and allowed him to play while he was blackout drunk.

Nevada law bars casinos from allowing visibly drunk patrons to gamble and from serving them comped drinks.

Johnston’s attorney, Sean Lyttle, said the Grand, which opened last November, is countersuing Johnston for trying to shirk his gambling debts.

Johnston put a stop-payment order on the markers, or casino credits, the Grand issued, and is seeking damages from the Grand for sullying his name.

Johnston said he was thoroughly drunk during the hours he spent playing pai gow and blackjack at the Grand.

Grand spokeswoman Amy Maier said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

The state Gaming Control Board is investigating.

Genting proceeds

To the naked eye, not much has changed in the year that passed since Malaysia-based Genting Group announced plans to build the $2 billion to $7 billion Resorts World Las Vegas on 87 acres on the Strip.

The concrete-and-steel structure — remnants of the unfinished Echelon development mothballed by Boyd Gaming Corp. in 2008 — remain standing.

A year later, other than a few signs touting the coming of the hotel-casino, the site appears unchanged.

But Resorts World Las Vegas is alive and well.

Genting representatives and government officials say the development — the Strip’s first new resort complex since 2010 — is on track to start construction this year.

The Clark County Commission handed Genting the land entitlements for the site in December.

“I have every confidence that they are moving forward,” Gov. Brian Sandoval said Monday.

Genting executives and architects recently were in Carson City to brief Sandoval on developments related to the planned 3,500-room Asia-themed hotel-casino.

Sandoval said he is comfortable with the project’s progress.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

More than 30 years’ experience reporting and editing for newspapers and magazines in Illinois, Colorado, Texas and New Jersey and 1985 winner of the Texas Daily Newspaper Association’s John Murphy Award for copy editing.