MAYS LANDING - More than one person was involved in a Nov. 20 shooting in Atlantic City that killed a 29-year-old man, prosecutors said Monday during a hearing for the only man charged so far with the murder of Corleone Hayes.

In a first appearance in Superior Court here Monday, bail was set at $1 million for Haneef Graves, 28.

Atlantic County Chief Assistant Prosecutor John Maher told Superior Court Judge Michael Donio that Graves conspired with "other individuals" in killing Corleone Hayes, 29, in a building on the 1300 block of Baltic Avenue.

Maher said after the hearing that the investigation is ongoing and declined to comment on any other details.

Graves was arrested at his home on the 100 block of N. South Carolina Avenue two days after the Nov. 20 shooting. He is charged with murder, conspiracy to commit murder, aggravated assault with a firearm, possession of a weapon, unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon by a convicted person.

Authorities also alleged Graves pointed a firearm at a person who was at the location, Maher told Donio.

Maher identified the man whom Hayes pointed the weapon at as Jose Rojas. Maher later declined to identify any relationship between Rojas and Graves.

Graves told Donio he did not have an attorney and said he would apply for a public defender. He asked for a hearing to reduce his bail, which Donio said would be granted when he hires an attorney.

Graves previously served three prison terms on drug and robbery charges. He was paroled from South Woods State Prison in September 2010.

Hayes was the second person to be shot to death Nov. 20. At 8 p.m. - about 45 minutes before Hayes was killed - Darren Holcolmb-Tally, 17, was fatally shot in the 800 block of North Maryland Avenue.

They bring the number of homicides in the city this year to 14, two more than each of the last two years. There have been arrests in nine of the killings.

Contact Joel Landau:

609-272-7215

Contact Lynda Cohen:

609-272-7257