How a baby boy was injured at a fatal shooting late Sunday afternoon in Atlantic City remains unclear.
Sedrick Lindo, 25, was shot multiple times in the body and head as he sat on a porch outside the Carver Hall apartments on the 500 block of north South Carolina Avenue.
Lindo’s aunt, Cheryl Bailey, said he was holding a baby at the time of the shooting, but police have not been able to confirm that he was the one who had the child. The boy suffered a cut to his chest, believed to have been from bullet shrapnel that ricocheted off the porch.
Posts on the Facebook page of Tanisha Bailey, who identifies herself as the baby’s grandmother, said he suffered a graze wound to his chest, but is home now.
“This has been a huge concern of ours since this violence started,” Atlantic City Public Safety Director Willie Glass said. “We are so fearful of someone not involved in this violence being caught up in it. That’s why we work 24/7 to curtail this.”
The concern was especially that a child would be injured, he said. “As a society, I believe the thing we’re most responsible for is to protect our children.”
Lindo is the city’s 12th homicide victim this year, the eighth to die by gunfire. That matches the total number of killings in the city in 2010, as well as in 2009. Fourteen people were killed last year.
Dewane Parker blames the increased violence on people not speaking up. The schools security chief is the creator of Stop the Silence, which is pushing for residents to come forward.
“On a Sunday afternoon, they walk up on a stoop and literally shoot four to five times,” he said Monday afternoon, standing near the stoop where a hole in the wood siding was the only visible remnant of the previous day’s violence. “The issue is: Why do the criminals do these things? Because they think they can get away with it.”
Children rode bikes and played and some residents sat outside Monday afternoon, but none wanted to discuss the violence.
Eula Grasty, who has lived in Carver Hall for 13 years, said people need to speak up, but are afraid.
Her nephew Rasheed Royster, 22, was shot multiple times April 21 in the 1300 block of Caspian Avenue, around the corner from Sunday’s shooting. A day later, another man was shot in the back near where Lindo was gunned down.
In 2010, the 1300 block portion of Carver Hall was the scene of a still-unsolved double homicide.
Grasty, 36, said the frequent shootings make her glad her 20-year-old son is in jail.
“It’s sad to say, but I am,” she said. “I used to hear something and I would worry it was him. I would call him every two minutes to see where he was. I couldn’t sleep. Now I can.”
Grasty, a lifelong Atlantic City resident, said she understands people are afraid. But she hopes someone will come forward this time.
“This time it’s a baby involved,” she said. “Somebody has to say something.”
No one has been arrested in the shooting, and no suspect information has been released.
Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office and city Police Department officials have declined to release information on the circumstances of the shooting, including any details about the baby, per acting Prosecutor Jim McClain.
Contact Lynda Cohen:
Follow Lynda Cohen on Twitter @LyndaCohen