MAYS LANDING – A former Atlantic City man was sentenced to 33 years in state Friday for sexually assaulting two young girls he was caring for, according to acting Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain.

Jose Oscar Corea, 50, was sentenced to prison on one count of first-degree aggravated sexual assault and two counts of sexual assault, second degree charges.

According to the prosecutor, the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office Crimes Against Children Unit began its investigation in 2004 after one of the victims told her teacher she'd been sexually assaulted by Corea, who was caring for her.

The assault took place in 1999 when the child was 4, authorities said.

The girl's older sister told investigators she too had been assaulted. Corea was indicted in November 2004 following an investigation. The indictment alleged the assaults took place multiple times from January 1999 until December 2002. They began when the girls were 4 and 7.

Corea fled before the start of his trial in June 2006 and remained a fugitive for six years, McClain said.

He was arrested last October in Florida and brought back to Atlantic County, where he pleaded guilty to the charges as well as to bail jumping.

Under the No Early Release Act, Corea must serve 85 percent or his sentence; he will not be eligible for parole until serving 28 years in prison.