A 66-year-old Pleasantville woman died of injuries she sustained in a fire at her apartment in the Village at Saint Peters senior housing complex Saturday, the Pleasantville Fire Department said. The woman was not identified.
The Pleasantville Fire Department responded to a report of an apartment fire with a possible trapped victim just after 4 a.m. Saturday. Upon arrival firefighters entered the apartment and brought out the victim, who had sustained burn injuries and smoke inhalation. She was treated and transported to the Atlanticare Regional Trauama Center in Atlantic City before being transferred to the Burn Center at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia, where she died of her injuries Sunday.
Firefighters evacuated 75 residents of the building with the help of the Pleasantville Police Department and the building’s on-duty security officer. Twenty-nine residents were temporarily displaced, a Red Cross spokeswoman said.
The Fire Department’s preliminary report indicates the fire was accidental and was caused by a smoking incident. It is still under investigation.