A vehicle was engulfed in flames Tuesday morning on Fabian Avenue and Church Street in Egg harbor Township.

Emergency response vehicles arrived at 9:45 a.m. to a 1999 Dodge conversion van on fire.

The owner of the vehicle, Joniest Moses, 76, was not at home, but his grandson Stefan Lawson, 30, was inside when the vehicle caught fire.

Latest Video

Lawson said he heard a boom, as if something had dropped on the floor, but didn’t think it was anything.

Minutes later, police called him on his cell, he said, and he came running out with his fiancé.

The car was parked near the rear of the house, and exterior damage to the neighboring house was visible.

Firefighters entered the house and used an exhaust system to let smoke out, but found no interior damage.

Moses said he had just replaced the vehicle’s battery at 8:30 that morning, and noticed smoke in the cabin when he started the engine.

He immediately shut it down and thought he would call a mechanic later, he said.

The vehicle contained his golf clubs and tools, he said.

The fire was put out at 10:05 a.m. Fire officials said it appeared to have been electrical in nature.

Stay informed! Sign up to receive top headlines delivered to your inbox each morning.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.