GARAGE FIRE

Egg Harbor Township firefighters battled an early morning fire at a vacant building on Tilton Road. The fire started in  a garage, and an individual was taken out of the structure when firefighters first arrived.

ANJALEE KHEMLANI

A homeless man accidentally started a fire in a vacant home in Egg Harbor Township Thursday morning.

Township Fire Inspector Don Stauffer said the fire started in the one story bungalow at 4:40 a.m. when the man knocked over a sterno container.

Latest Video

The fire damaged three rooms in the house – which Stauffer said has been vacant for ten years – before the blaze was under control about half an hour after it began.

Fire companies from Cardiff, Farmington, Bargaintown and Northfield responded to the blaze.

Police could not immediately be reached for information on the man and if charges were made.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.