CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE — Nine Wildwood Boardwalk merchants were indicted Tuesday in connection with counterfeit goods sold on the boards this summer.
On July 15, police arrested most of the indicted merchants in a raid on 12 Boardwalk stores that were selling counterfeit Monster Energy drink merchandise and other goods.
That day, police, with the assistance of private investigators hired by the companies involved, arrested several merchants and seized 8,900 counterfeit trademarked items, along with $40,000 in cash.
On Tuesday, a Cape May County grand jury handed up indictments for the crime of counterfeit trademark, a fourth-degree crime, against Shmuel Anijar, Sobhan Arafa, Erez Ascanderani, Joseph Benatar, David Einy, Lior Giset, Udi Hayut, Joseph Sakkal, and Albert Setton.
They are charged with attempting to deceive and defraud by selling or manufacturing merchandise with counterfeit trademarks of Monster Energy.
Merchandise collected the day of the raid included T-shirts, sweatpants, sweatshirts, sunglasses, hats and heat transfers — all bearing trademarked logos or insignia from designers such as Fox Racing, D.C. Clothing, Dolce & Gabbana, Monster Energy and Rock Star Energy Drink.
The indicted merchants worked for the following stores:
- Udi Hayut, 41, who worked at Spirit USA, 4202 Boardwalk
- Erez Ascanderani, 30, of Wildwood, who worked at Beachwear Fashions, 2906 Boardwalk
- Lior Giset, 44, of Wildwood, who worked at Captain Deckens, 3415 Boardwalk
- David Einy, 24, of Plantation, Fla., who worked at Wild Gifts, 4320-4322 Boardwalk
- Shmuel Anijar, 55, of Hollywood, Fla., who worked at Shore Shop, 2800 Boardwalk
- Joseph Benatar, 57, of Hollywood, Fla., who worked at Fortune Sportswear, 3710 Boardwalk
- Joseph Sakkal, 54, of Long Branch, Monmouth County, who worked at Bobby's Place, 4108 Boardwalk; Wild Planet, 4006-4008 Boardwalk; and Marci's Place, 4002 Boardwalk
- Sobhan Arafa, High Octane, 3214 Boardwalk
- Albert Setton, Papillion 3200 Boardwalk and Papillion II 2820 Boardwalk
Contact Trudi Gilfillian: