Surf, run, have all sorts of fun - and assist in fight against cancer

Somers Point native, professional surfer and cancer survivor Dean Randazzo formed the Dean Randazzo Cancer Foundation in 2001 to financially assist people fighting the disease.

About 300 surfers and community supporters are expected to gather Sept. 10 at the Decatur Avenue Beach in Margate for the 11th annual Surf for a Cause surf and beach fest, presented by the Dean Randazzo Cancer Foundation.

Surf for a Cause is an all-day community event to raise money for cancer research and patient financial assistance through the foundation. It includes a divisioned surf contest, a 5K run, a 1-mile walk, a coed, four-person volleyball tournament and - new this year - a paddleboard contest.

"Paddleboarding has really grown on the East Coast, so were honoring that hobby this year," said Paul Giunta, vice president of the foundation.

Latest Video

Surf for a Cause has something for everyone, noncompetitors and children included, Giunta said. Arts and crafts will be set up on the beach during the day for children, and a beachside movie projector will show surf flicks beginning at dusk.

The event will be followed by an after-party at Ventura's Greenhouse in Margate, with entertainment provided by local reggae band SensaMotion.

Surf for a Cause is the largest and most successful annual DRCF event, said Dan Cellucci, the foundation's president, followed by Paddle for a Cause, a 23-mile paddle around Absecon Island held in June. This year was the fourth Paddle for a Cause, raising more than $20,000.

Last year, Surf for a Cause raised about $24,000. In the 2010-11 year, the Dean Randazzo Cancer Foundation has helped 15 individuals and has raised more than $65,000, Cellucci said. About 90 percent of the money raised through the foundation goes directly to individuals fighting cancer. The remaining 10 percent goes to research.

"When Dean got sick, we saw firsthand the financial burden of the disease," he said, "Prescription costs, medical day-to-day living, having to travel for treatment."

Both Giunta and Cellucci are longtime friends of Randazzo. They all were born and grew up in Somers Point and graduated from Mainland Regional High School. All three are avid surfers, and Randazzo is a professional surfer.

Randazzo was the first New Jersey resident to qualify for the Association of Surfing Professionals World Championship Tour in 1995. He now lives in San Diego, Calif., where he competes. He is a four-time cancer survivor. He formed the foundation in 2001, the year he first received a diagnosis of Hodgkin's lymphoma.

As a survivor, Randazzo uses his talent on the water and his past experiences to raise money and awareness for the disease. Each September, he returns to New Jersey to support Surf for a Cause and sign autographs on the beach

"It's always a good day ... brings the community together, amazing, great energy. It's everything I envisioned it to be," he said.

Contact Elisa Lala:


If you go

What: 11th annual Surf for a Cause hosted by the Dean Randazzo Cancer Foundation

When: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 10.

Where: The event will take place at the Decatur Avenue Beach, in front of Lucy the Elephant, in Margate. The after-party will begin at 4 p.m. at Ventura's Greenhouse , 106 S. Benson Ave.

Cost: Surf contest fee $40; surf contest fee and additional division $55; after-party ticket only (will be emailed or you can pick up at the door) $20; 5K beach run/walk $25; volleyball and after-party ticket $40; beach run/walk with after-party ticket $40.

More info:

For more information or to register, see

Stay informed! Sign up to receive top headlines delivered to your inbox each morning.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.