Charter School

BELGRAVE

Ricardo Belgrave, outside his Atlantic City home, is seeking state approval to open the first all-boys charter school in the state. The Frederick Douglass Charter School for Boys is preparing for the final phase of its application process.

Edward Lea / Staff Photo

ATLANTIC CITY — A South Jersey proposal for an all-boys charter school, which would have been the first of its kind in New Jersey, was denied by the state Department of Education earlier this month.

The Frederick Douglass Charter School for Boys, the brainchild of Atlantic City teacher Ricardo Belgrave, was one of 17 charter school proposals up for approval in the state of New Jersey this year.

Although he made it successfully through the first two rounds of the application process, Belgrave said he found out earlier this month that he was not one of the two applications approved in this round.

Latest Video

“We believe most of it has to do with the financial instability of Atlantic City at the moment and them not wanting to put an additional financial burden on the city with the charter school,” Belgrave said Tuesday.

The two charter schools approved were the Achievers Early College Prep Charter School in Trenton, serving 90 sixth-graders, and the Middlesex County STEM Charter School in Perth Amboy, serving 180 kindergartners through second-graders.