When The Chelsea opened in Atlantic City last summer, it had all of the makings of what a boutique hotel should have. Great pool? Check. Great restaurants? Check. Beautiful rooms? Check.
What was missing was a spa. With the recent opening of the Sea Spa, The Chelsea completes its promise to be the non-gaming oasis some Atlantic City visitors are looking for.
Sea Spa, a saltwater-inspired spa, is a 10,000-square-foot complex with a full menu of spa services and skin care tailored for men, women and couples. With 10 private treatment rooms, including a couples room and two "wet treatment" rooms, the Sea Spa "harnesses the qualities of the ocean in almost all of its treatments."
Those include: the Sea Side Massage, which is inspired by the movement of The Mediterranean ($135 for 50 minutes); the Genie in the Bottle, which concentrates on one specific area of the body ($65 for 25 minutes); and the On the Rocks stone massage, where the massage therapists use heated stones ($135 for 50 minutes). The Spa will soon open its manicure and pedicure room with two manicure stations and two bowl pedicure stations.
"I think that with the recent changes to our nightlife program, the addition of the spa, which everyone has been waiting for, and the restaurants doing as well as they are, that we are a resort in a building right now," says Spa Director Melanie Housel. "When you come in here, you see people walking in their robes, headed to the spa. We really made a destination in the middle of Atlantic City. With the beach, the hotel and the restaurants, the spa was the last bit of fun The Chelsea was waiting for."
The Sea Spa, which features stone accents and hardwood floors throughout, offers men's and women's locker rooms with private shower facilities. But one of the main attractions is The Solarium, The Chelsea's social, co-ed hydrotherapy room with a clover-shaped, oversized Jacuzzi surrounded by heated stone floors, heated stone benches and plush, cushioned loungers.
The Solarium overlooks and is steps away from the main floor pool, a heated, saltwater pool that is surrounded by a sun deck with more loungers, and is an escape from the louder, party pool on the fifth floor. There's also a sauna and steam room, and a nearby exercise room with treadmills and weights.
To kick off its first full summer in Atlantic City and the opening of its new spa, The Chelsea is offering a "Daycation Package" through June 26, that features a 50-minute signature Swedish massage known as the "Blond Ambition," access to the hydrotherapy room, and a two-course dinner at Stephen Starr's Teplitzky's - with a complimentary mocktail - for $99 to $109 per person; not valid on Saturdays.
If you really want to go all out, check out the "Social Club Package," where $599 to $649 will net you an overnight stay in a "Luxe room," two passes to the Solarium, two "Blond Ambition" massages, and breakfast for two from Teplitzky's, which can be delivered to the spa.
The Chelsea Sea Spa
WHERE: 111 S. Chelsea Ave., Atlantic City
WHEN: Spa is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Hours will expand in peak summer.
HOW MUCH: Manicures and pedicures range from $25 to $55; treatments range from $65 to $265.
MORE INFO: Call 609-428-4554 or go to http://www.thechelsea-ac.com./" target= "_blank">www.thechelsea-ac.com.
The Top 10
Cool Things About
10. Its Fifth Floor Lounge offers a great place to sit by the fire on comfy couches in the winter or go outside on the deck in the summer.
9. Its Fifth Floor Game Room. Watch the baseball game on an LCD screen while playing pool or a board game fireside with some friends.
8. The pool on the main floor offers a relaxed, serene place to take a dip or relax.
7. No ringing slot machines or hustle and bustle of a casino.
6. Teplitzky's offers a casual, affordable place to grab a bite with that Stephen Starr touch.
5. Good things can come in small packages. The club, C5, on the Fifth Floor may be small, but it's a major hot spot on weekends.
4. The Fifth Floor pool and deck area screams cool, whether lounging in the sun and swimming in the heated pool listening to a DJ by day, or dancing at night. Bikini-clad waitresses a plus.
3. The Sea Spa is the retreat Chelsea guests have been asking for.
2. Its retro-chic rooms are some of the nicest in the city with LCD screens, big bathrooms and extremely comfortable beds.
1. Starr's Chelsea Prime, below, is one of the best restaurants in the city with amazing dry-aged steaks, creative side dishes and one of the classiest dining rooms in southern New Jersey.