LONDON — Never say never again? Sam Mendes says he won’t be directing the next James Bond film — but may work on the series again in the future.

Mendes has been praised for his work on “Skyfall,” the first Bond film to rake in more than $1 billion in revenue.

Latest Video

But Mendes says he has made the “very difficult decision” to focus on other projects “that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond.” They include upcoming London stage productions of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “King Lear.”

In comments published Wednesday by movie magazine Empire, Mendes said he was honored to have been part of the Bond family, “and very much hope I have a chance to work with them again.”

Mendes worked in theater before turning to film. He won an Academy Award in 2000 for “American Beauty.”

“Skyfall,” which stars Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem and Judi Dench, won two Oscars last month, including one for Adele’s theme song.

Recommended for you

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.