South Jersey dog owners need to look no further than their own backyard for the best beach for their beloved canines.
The Wildwoods Dog Beach was recently named one of the top 10 “Best Dog Friendly Beaches” for 2016 in the 10 Best Readers’ Choice travel award contest through USA TODAY.
Only shy of the number one spot, Wildwoods Dog Beach came in second place behind Chicago’s Montrose Dog Beach.
“It’s an honor to be named among the best in the nation in anything,” said John Siciliano, executive director and chief financial officer of the Greater Wildwoods Tourism Improvement and Development Authority (GWTIDA) in a press release.
Marked by a 25-foot, red fire-hydrant, the dog-friendly beach on Poplar Avenue boasts a 190-yard-wide area where dogs can frolic in the surf.
“Many families consider their four-legged friends family members and insist on traveling with their pets," Siciliano said. "So the Wildwoods make it possible for the entire ‘family’ to vacation together by offering a number of pet-friendly hotels-motels and a designated area of beach just for them."
The beach was the only in the top 10 line up from the New Jersey area, although multiple beaches from California and Washington state made the list.
Bellow is the full list of winners:
1. Montrose Dog Beach - Chicago
2. Wildwood Dog Beach - Wildwood, New Jersey
3. Bald Head Island - Bald Head Island, North Carolina
4. Rosie's Dog Beach - Long Beach, California
5. First Landing State Park Beach - Virginia Beach, Virginia
6. Long Beach Peninsula - Long Beach, Washington
7. Huntington Dog Beach - Huntington Beach, California
8. Cannon Beach - Cannon Beach, Oregon
9. Double Bluff Beach - South Whidbey Island, Washington
10. Jupiter Dog Beach - Jupiter, Florida