Wrestling weight-by-weight individual rankings
These rankings are determined by The Press high school sports staff based on staff observation, research and interviews with players and coaches. The rankings are of wrestlers who compete for schools in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, and southern Ocean counties.
Records are based on results reported to The Press. E-mail John O'Kane at
email@example.com with any corrections.
Vineland's Josh Pineda has won nine straight matches with four pins, two forfeits and a major decision during the stretch. St. Augustine Prep freshman Collin Donahue has won seven matches in a row with four pins.
1. Pat D'Arcy, Holy Spirit (23-3)
2. Josh Pineda, Vineland (15-2)
3. Collin Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (17-8)
Vineland's Steven Bergamo remained unbeaten with a pin, a technical fall and a 14-12 decision against fellow District 32 placer Ronray Harris of Middle Township in a quad Saturday.
1. Steven Bergamo, Vineland (8-0)
2. Ronray Harris, Middle Township (17-2)
3. Chris Crane, Southern Regional (15-7)
St. Augustine Prep's Tom Gattinella had two decisions and a major decision on Saturday in a quad at the Prep featuring three teams in The Press Elite 11. Lower Cape May's Zach Valcarce had two technical falls and a pin on Saturday. Buena Regional's Sal Marandino returns to the area rankings riding a seven-match winning streak.
1. Tom Gattinella, St. Augusine Prep (22-3)
2. Zach Valcarce, Lower Cape May Regional (21-5)
3. Sal Marandino, Buena Regional (15-6)
Buena Regional's Billy Ward reeled off eight straight first-period pins before bumping all the way up to 138 pounds to win a 15-1 major decision against District 32 runner-up Eric Hanusewicz of Cedar Creek on Jan. 23. Southern Regional's Andrew Tonneson won a 2-1 decision against Brick Memorial's Jared Staub in the Rams' loss to the Mustangs on Jan. 23.
1. Billy Ward, Buena Regional (17-3)
2. Andrew Tonneson, Southern Regional (20-6)
3. Ed Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (17-8)
Zach Wilhelm won by major decision on Jan. 23 in Southern Regional's loss to Brick Memorial for the Rams' only bonus point. Egg Harbor Township's Shawn Bryant has won 18 of his last 19 matches after picking up a pin and a technical fall. Buena Regional's Chaz Bramble is 9-0 since Jan. 1 with four pins.
1. Zach Wilhelm, Southern Regional (19-7)
2. Shawn Bryant, Egg Harbor Township (19-3)
3. Chaz Bramble, Buena Regional (16-5)
It was a tough week for Southern Regional's Jake Campana. The District 24 runner-up lost a 4-2 decision to Brick Memorial's Rob Ruggiero on Jan. 23 and a 17-2 technical fall to two-time Region 6 champ Richard Lewis of Toms River East on Friday. Millville freshman Keith Mahoney is now 14-0 with seven pins and three major decisions since Jan. 1.
1. Jake Campana, Southern Regional (15-8)
2. Eric Hanusewicz, Cedar Creek (19-3)
3. Keith Mahoney, Millville (20-2)
Dillan Berghof is 9-0 for Buena Regional since Jan. 1 with five pins and has picked up bonus points in all nine matches. Millville's Rico Rivera is 12-1 since Jan. 1 with his only loss coming at 160 pounds to District 29 champ Connor Donahue.
1. Dillan Berghof, Buena Regional (16-2)
2. Nick Racanelli, Southern Regional (15-9)
3. Rico Rivera, Millville (19-3)
District 24 runner-up Chris Serpico of Southern Regional won a 6-5 decision against District 23 champ Cliff Ruggiero of Brick Memorial on Jan. 23 and won by technical fall in the team's win against Toms River East on Friday. Middle Township's John Mallett won a 13-9 decision against Mainland Regional's John Fitzpatrick on Saturday.
1. Chris Serpico, Southern Regional (16-5)
2. John Mallett, Middle Township (21-4)
3. John Fitzpatrick, Mainland Regional (21-4)
Hammonton's Kellen Whitney had two first-period pins and won a 5-3 decision against District 31 champ Steffen Rodriguez on Saturday. Gerardo Jorge was one of four Southern Regional wrestlers to pick up wins in the team's loss to Brick Memorial Jan. 23. Atlantic City's Cesar Balmaceda had a pin and a technical fall in two matches on Saturday.
1. Kellen Whitney, Hammonton (20-2)
2. Cesar Balmaceda, Atlantic City (19-0)
3. Gerardo Jorge, Southern Regional (17-6)
St. Augustine Prep's Tyler Sentman, a District 32 champ, lost a 2-1 decision to District 29 champ from Clearview Regional Connor Donahue (who wrestled at St. Augustine as a freshman) on Saturday. Sentman has 13 pins this season and has picked up bonus points in all but one win. Ocean City's Cooper Gallagher debuts in the rankings at No. 3. Gallagher has won 13 of 14 since Jan. 1 and had two pins and a forfeit in a quad Saturday
1. Tyler Sentman, St. Augustine Prep (21-4)
2. Luke Fernandez, Lacey Township (23-1)
3. Cooper Gallagher, Ocean City (21-2)
Hammonton's David Williams has been one of the area's most dominant wrestlers this season. Williams had two pins and an 11-3 major decision against Vineland District 31 placewinner Tiawahn Cosby on Saturday. Williams has 14 pins this season and has earned bonus points in all but three matches.
1. David Williams, Hammonton (25-0)
2. James Bennett, St. Augustine Prep (13-8)
3. John Benard, Oakcrest (19-5)
Millville's Ed Shockley has earned bonus points in 16 of 20 matches this year with 11 pins. Lower Cape May's Cory Damiana won a 2-1 decision against District 26 champ Tyreek Smith of Moorestown on Saturday. Damiana pinned Hammonton's Brandon Beebe on Jan. 23. Beebe has won 12 of his last 13 matches.
1. Ed Shockley, Millville (20-2)
2. Cory Damiana, Lower Cape May Regional (22-5)
3. Brandon Beebe, Hammonton (21-4)
Egg Harbor Township's Nigel Toussaint and Josh Johnson may be headed for a showdown in District 32 this season. Neither has lost at 220 this season. Toussaint, a state qualifier last season, is 13-0 at 220. Johnson is 12-0 with eight pins and four forfeits since dropping down to 220. Lacey Township's Pat Schinder had a 24-second pin and a forfeit on Saturday.
1. Nigel Toussaint, Egg Harbor Township (21-2)
2. Josh Johnson, Ocean City (21-3)
3. Pat Schinder, Lacey Township (23-2)
St. Joseph's Roy Lucas has decided against dropping down to 220 this season and will remain at 285 for the rest of the year. A state placewinner at 220 last season, Lucas has five straight first-period pins. St. Augustine Prep sophomore Tom Lynd won a 3-2 triple-overtime rideout against Egg Harbor Township's Nigel Toussaint on Jan. 23.
1. Roy Lucas, St. Joseph (24-0)
2. Tom Lynd, St. Augustine Prep (22-2)
3. Robert Frederico, Hammonton (24-1)