Weight-by-weight individual wrestling rankings for week of Feb. 6
These rankings are determined by The Press high school sports staff based on staff observation, research and interviews with players and coaches. The rankings are of wrestlers who compete for schools in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, and southern Ocean counties.
Records are based on results reported to The Press. E-mail John O'Kane at
firstname.lastname@example.org with any corrections.
Holy Spirit's Pat D'Arcy has won 13 matches in a row with eight straight pins. Vineland's Josh Pineda split a pair of tough matches on Saturday with a 4-0 win against Clearview Regional's John Seybold and lost a 2-0 decision to West Deptford's Griffin Bonner.
1. Pat D'Arcy, Holy Spirit (25-3)
2. Josh Pineda, Vineland (17-3)
3. Collin Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (18-10)
Vineland's Steven Bergamo won his first 10 matches of the season before dropping a 2-1 decision to Clearview Regional's Zack Firestone on Saturday. Middle Township's Ronray Harris had three pins, a technical fall and a major decision in five matches this week.
1. Steven Bergamo, Vineland (11-1)
2. Ronray Harris, Middle Township (22-2)
3. Chris Crane, Southern Regional (16-7)
St. Augustine Prep's Tom Gattinella had two technical falls and a 9-1 major decision against Middle Township's Kenny Dale on Saturday. Dale won his other two matches in the quad.
1. Tom Gattinella, St. Augustine Prep (26-3)
2. Zach Valcarce, Lower Cape May Regional (22-5)
3. Kenny Dale, Middle Township (21-4)
Buena Regional's Billy Ward had a big day on Saturday. Ward won a 5-1 decision against Raritan state qualifier Anthony Scarella, a 4-2 overtime decision against District 30 runner-up Anthony Racobaldo of Williamstown and pinned Southern Regional's Andrew Tonneson.
1. Billy Ward, Buena Regional (20-3)
2. Andrew Tonneson, Southern Regional (20-9)
3. Ed Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (21-8)
Southern Regional's Zach Wilhelm pinned Buena Regional's Chaz Bramble on Saturday and added a major and a technical fall in two other matches. Egg Harbor Township's Shawn Bryant has won 18 of his last 19 matches with four straight pins. St. Augustine Prep's Jarred Hodges debuts in the rankings after a three-win day on Saturday.
1. Zach Wilhelm, Southern Regional (22-7)
2. Shawn Bryant, Egg Harbor Township (20-3)
3. Jarred Hodges, St. Augustine Prep (21-7)
Southern Regional's Jake Campana won a 5-1 decision against District 22 champ Jason Bohal of Raritan on Saturday and had two major decisions in two other matches. Cedar Creek's Eric Hanusewicz won a 5-0 decision against Millville's Keith Mahoney on Saturday as well as a technical fall and a 6-1 loss to fellow Region 8 qualifier Patrick McCurdy of Woodstown. Mahoney's loss to Hanusewicz snapped a 23-match winning streak.
1. Jake Campana, Southern Regional (18-8)
2. Eric Hanusewicz, Cedar Creek (22-4)
3. Keith Mahoney, Millville (23-3)
Buena Regional's Dillan Berghof won an 8-0 major decision against Southern Regional's Nick Racanelli on Saturday. Berghof is 10-0 with six pins since Jan. 1. Millville's Rico Rivera had pins in all four matches he wrestled this week and has 13 this season.
1. Dillan Berghof, Buena Regional (17-2)
2. Nick Racanelli, Southern Regional (17-10)
3. Rico Rivera, Millville (23-3)
Southern Regional's Chris Serpico had a pin and a decision as the Rams swept a quad on Saturday. Middle Township's John Mallett had three pins, a major decision and a 5-4 loss to District 31 champ John Hennelly of Delsea Regional on Saturday. Mainland Regional's John Fitzpatrick has three straight pins in less than one minute.
1. Chris Serpico, Southern Regional (18-5)
2. John Mallett, Middle Township (25-5)
3. John Fitzpatrick, Mainland Regional (23-4)
Hammonton's Kellen Whitney has four pins, a technical fall, a major decision and a forfeit in seven straight wins. Atlantic City's Cesar Balmaceda knocked off a pair of district champs this week. The unbeaten senior won a 13-8 decision against District 31 champ Steffen Rodriguez of Vineland on Jan. 30 and won a 5-2 decision against District 23 champ and state qualifier Dan Wojtaszek of Brick Township.
1. Kellen Whitney, Hammonton (20-2)
2. Cesar Balmaceda, Atlantic City (25-0)
3. Gerardo Jorge, Southern Regional (20-6)
Teams have been able to avoid St. Augustine Prep's Tyler Sentman as teammate James Bennett recovers from a shoulder injury. Sentman had three forfeits and a pin this week and has four forfeits in his last seven matches. Probably the deepest weight class in the area, defending District 31 champ Steffen Rodriguez (21-6) of Vineland, District 32 placer C.J. LaFragola (12-2) of St. Joseph and Mainland Regional's Tim Lenzsch (24-3) have all been stellar this season.
1. Tyler Sentman, St. Augustine Prep (25-3)
2. Luke Fernandez, Lacey Township (25-1)
3. Cooper Gallagher, Ocean City (22-2)
Hammonton's David Williams has picked up bonus points in 11 straight matches and has 14 pins this season. Oakcrest's John Benard has a pin, three major decisions and two forfeits in six straight wins.
1. David Williams, Hammonton (25-0)
2. James Bennett, St. Augustine Prep (13-8)
3. John Benard, Oakcrest (22-5)
Millville's Ed Shockley bumped all the way up to heavyweight and won a 3-1 decision against St. Augustine Prep's Tom Lynd on Jan. 30.
Shockley has won three forfeits in his last five matches and is a big reason why the Thunderbolts qualified for the team tournament for the first time since 1997.
1. Ed Shockley, Millville (24-2)
2. Cory Damiana, Lower Cape May Regional (23-5)
3. Brandon Beebe, Hammonton (21-4)
Egg Harbor Township's Nigel Toussaint is 14-0 at 220 this season with both losses coming up a weight at 285. Ocean City's Josh Johnson is 12-1 at 220 this season.
1. Nigel Toussaint, Egg Harbor Township (22-2)
2. Josh Johnson, Ocean City (21-4)
3. Pat Schinder, Lacey Township (25-2)
St. Joseph's Roy Lucas won a 3-0 decision against Holy Spirit's Ray Ellis on Jan. 30. Ellis was only the third person this season to go the full six minutes with Lucas and the first since Jan. 12. Lucas leads the area with 18 pins. Absegami's Roman Rudisill, Lower's Doug Flitcroft and Spirit's Ellis are just a few area heavyweights with impressive resumes this season, but Frederico and Lynd get the nod based on consistency.
1. Roy Lucas, St. Joseph (26-0)
2. Robert Frederico, Hammonton (25-1)
3. Tom Lynd, St. Augustine Prep (23-5)