These rankings are determined by The Press high school sports staff based on staff observation, research and interviews with players and coaches. The rankings are of wrestlers who compete for schools in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, and southern Ocean counties.
Records are based on results reported to The Press. E-mail John O’Kane at
firstname.lastname@example.org with any corrections.
Holy Spirit’s Pat D’Arcy has eight pins this season. The defending District 32 champ won a 7-1 decision against Vineland’s Josh Pineda on Saturday. Pineda won his other two matches in the Fighting Clan’s quad.
1. Pat D’Arcy, Holy Spirit (17-3)
2. Josh Pineda, Vineland (7-2)
3. Collin Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (12-7)
Ronray Harris continued his hot start to the season with two pins and a technical fall on his way to a Buc Classic title at Red Bank Regional on Saturday. He also led the Panthers to the team title. Millville’s Zach Goranson is 8-0 against Cape-Atlantic League wrestlers this season. Chris Crane picked up Southern Regional’s only bonus points of the match with a pin in the team’s 27-24 win against Jackson Memorial on Saturday.
1. Ronray Harris, Middle Township (12-0)
2. Zach Goranson, Millville (14-2)
3. Chris Crane, Southern Regional (12-5)
Tom Gattinella picked up a technical fall in the Prep’s win against Mainland Regional on Monday for his 107th career win, one more than current coach Bill Ward had in his high school career at the Prep. Gattinella won a 7-1 decision against Lower Cape May’s Zach Valcarce in a District 32 finals rematch Saturday. Valcarce won a 7-2 decision against defending Region 8 champ Tyler Kaminski of West Deptford in the same quad. Kaminski beat Valcarce in the finals of the Marinelli Tournament.
1. Tom Gattinella, St. Augustine Prep (15-3)
2. Zach Valcarce, Lower Cape May Regional (13-5)
3. Daniel DeTetta, Vineland (9-8)
All three of Billy Ward’s losses have come to out-of-state wrestlers. Southern Regional’s Andrew Tonneson won two matches in the team’s brutal quad with a decision loss to Delbarton state qualifier Christian Innarella.
1. Billy Ward, Buena Regional (13-3)
2. Andrew Tonneson, Southern Regional (17-6)
3. Ed Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (13-6)
Zach Wilhelm officially clinched the match in Southern Regional’s win against Shore Conference rival Jackson Memorial on Saturday. Wilhelm also dropped a pair of decisions to state qualifiers Ryan Burkert of St. Peter’s Prep and Travis Vasquez of Delbarton. Egg Harbor Township’s Shawn Bryant had his 11-match winning streak snapped in an 8-4 loss to Delsea’s John Pierson on Saturday.
1. Zach Wilhelm, Southern Regional (14-7)
2. Shawn Bryant, Egg Harbor Township (13-3)
3. Chaz Bramble, Buena Regional (12-5)
Southern Regional’s Jake Campana was one of just three Rams to go a perfect 3-0 on Saturday in a quad with state powers Jackson Memorial, St. Peter’s Prep and Delbarton. Cedar Creek’s Eric Hanusewicz had a first-period pin in the team’s win against Atlantic City on Saturday. Millville freshman Keith Mahoney has burst onto the local wrestling scene this season and debuts in the rankings at No. 3. Mahoney is 10-0 with four pins and two major decisions during the stretch.
1. Jake Campana, Southern Regional (14-5)
2. Eric Hanusewicz, Cedar Creek (12-2)
3. Keith Mahoney, Millville (16-2)
Buena Regional’s Dillan Berghof won a 13-1 major decision against fellow District 32 champ Jack Willette of Absegami on Saturday. Holy Spirit’s Ed Sooy lost a 2-1 decision to Cedar Creek’s Eric Hanusewicz (No. 2 at 138) on Jan. 9. Sooy went 3-0 Saturday with two pins and a decision.
1. Dillan Berghof, Buena Regional (12-2)
2. Nick Racanelli, Southern Regional (12-8)
3. Ed Sooy, Holy Spirit (13-5)
Southern Regional has wrestled four straight teams in the New Jersey Wrestling Writer’s Association Top 20 and Chris Serpico is the only Ram that won all four of his matches. Middle Township’s John Mallett pinned all three opponents he faced on Saturday to win the Buc Classic at Red Bank Regional.
1. Chris Serpico, Southern Regional (14-4)
2. Jack Willette, Absegami (14-5)
3. John Mallett, Middle Township (15-2)
Hammonton’s Kellen Whitney lost a 5-3 decision to District 26 champ and Region 7 runner-up Christian Stackhouse of Riverside. Gerardo Jorge won two of his three matches in Southern’s quad on Saturday.
1. Kellen Whitney, Hammonton (12-2)
2. Gerardo Jorge, Southern Regional (13-6)
3. Chris Stoma, Barnegat (11-7)
St. Augustine Prep’s Tyler Sentman has three pins and a forfeit in his last four matches. Atlantic City’s Cesar Balmaceda had a major decision in the team’s loss to Cedar Creek Saturday. Lacey Township’s Luke Fernandez won all three matches he wrestled by pin on Saturday.
1. Tyler Sentman, St. Augustine Prep (15-2)
2. Cesar Balmaceda, Atlantic City (12-0)
3. Luke Fernandez, Lacey Township (16-1)
Hammonton senior David Williams had two first-period pins and a forfeit on Saturday and has nine pins this season. Vineland’s Steffen Rodriguez is a perfect 9-0 since Jan. 1 with five pins, a major decision and a forfeit.
1. David Williams, Hammonton (15-0)
2. James Bennett, St. Augustine Prep (11-7)
3. Steffen Rodriguez, Vineland (14-2)
Millville’s Ed Shockley has won 16 straight matches. Shockley had two pins and a 7-2 decision against fellow Region 8 qualifier John Benard of Oakcrest. Vineland’s Tiawahn Cosby had two pins and a forfeit on Saturday.
1. Ed Shockley, Millville (17-1)
2. Cory Damiana, Lower Cape May Regional (13-5)
3. Tiawahn Cosby, Vineland (14-2)
St. Joseph state placewinner Roy Lucas has been dominant this season. Lucas has gone a full six minutes just twice this season and has 11 pins. Egg Harbor Township state qualifier Nigel Toussaint lost his first match of the season on Saturday, 3-0 to District 29 and Region 8 champ Bryan Dobzanski of Delsea Regional.
1. Roy Lucas, St. Joseph (16-0)
2. Nigel Toussaint, Egg Harbor Township (15-1)
3. Patrick Schinder, Lacey Township (16-1)
Hammonton’s Robert Frederico won three matches on Saturday to remain perfect this season. Frederico won a 3-1 decision against Ocean City’s John Johnson on Jan. 9. Johnson had two pins and a forfeit in a quad Saturday.
1. Robert Frederico, Hammonton (16-0)
2. Josh Johnson, Ocean City (12-3)
3. Cody Smead, Southern Regional (12-6)