Weekly high school wrestling weight-by-weight rankings
These rankings are determined by The Press high school sports staff based on staff observation, research and interviews with players and coaches. The rankings are of wrestlers who compete for schools in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, and southern Ocean counties.
Records are based on results reported to The Press. E-mail John O'Kane at
firstname.lastname@example.org with any corrections.
Holy Spirit's Pat D'Arcy has six straight first-period pins and 14 total this season. D'Arcy is 9-0 against Cape-Atlantic League opponents this season. Vineland's Josh Pineda had two pins and a forfeit this week in three matches.
1. Pat D'Arcy, Holy Spirit (23-3)
2. Josh Pineda, Vineland (10-2)
3. Collin Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (13-8)
Middle Township's Ronray Harris lost his first match of the season Saturday, a 16-6 major decision to Penns Grove's Darrian Brooks. Vineland's Steven Bergamo made his season debut Thursday after sitting 30 days (transferred from St. Augustine Prep) and opened with a 28-second pin.
1. Ronray Harris, Middle Township (14-1)
2. Chris Crane, Southern Regional (14-6)
3. Steven Bergamo, Vineland (3-0)
St. Augustine Prep's Tom Gattinella had a pin and a forfeit as the Hermits won a pair of matches against Hammonton and Williamstown on Saturday. Lower Cape May state qualifier Zach Valcarce had two pins and a decision Saturday.
1. Tom Gattinella, St. Augustine Prep (18-3)
2. Zach Valcarce, Lower Cape May Regional (17-5)
3. Kenny Dale, Middle Township (14-2)
Buena Regional three-time state qualifier Billy Ward is 8-0 with eight first-period pins since Jan. 1. Southern Regional's Andrew Tonneson was one of four Rams to win two matches on Saturday.
1. Billy Ward, Buena Regional (16-3)
2. Andrew Tonneson, Southern Regional (19-6)
3. Ed Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (14-7)
Southern Regional's Zach Wilhelm had a major decision and a 7-1 decision against District 23 placer Dean Sherry of Brick Township. Egg Harbor Township's Shawn Bryant had three pins Saturday. Buena Regional's Chaz Bramble has won nine matches in a row.
1. Zach Wilhelm, Southern Regional (17-7)
2. Shawn Bryant, Egg Harbor Township (16-3)
3. Chaz Bramble, Buena Regional (15-5)
Southern Regional's Jake Campana lost a 5-1 overtime decision to Brick Township District 23 placewinner Steven Cimmino on Saturday. Cedar Creek's Eric Hanusewicz had a pin and a technical fall Saturday and is 6-0 against CAL wrestlers this season. Millville freshman Keith Mahoney continues to impress. Mahoney won all three of his matches by pin this week and has won 14 matches in a row.
1. Jake Campana, Southern Regional (15-6)
2. Eric Hanusewicz, Cedar Creek (15-2)
3. Keith Mahoney, Millville (19-2)
Millville's Rico Rivera wrestled at 145 for the first time on Jan. 14 after spending the beginning of the season at 152. Rivera bumped back up to 152 Saturday and avenged an earlier season loss with a 7-0 decision against Middle Township's John Mallett.
1. Dillan Berghof, Buena Regional (15-2)
2. Nick Racanelli, Southern Regional (14-8)
3. Rico Rivera, Millville (18-3)
Mainland Regional's John Fitzpatrick debuts in the rankings after winning a 12-9 decision against District 32 champ Jack Willette of Absegami on Jan. 16.
1. Chris Serpico, Southern Regional (14-5)
2. John Fitzpatrick, Mainland Regional (18-3)
3. Jack Willette, Absegami (16-6)
Hammonton's Kellen Whitney had a pin and a major decision Saturday and is 7-0 against CAL opponents this season. Southern Regional's Gerardo Jorge won two major decisions as the Rams won a pair of matches on Saturday. Barnegat's Ryan Kirk debuts in the rankings after a three-win Saturday. Kirk wrestled at 160 for the first time on Jan. 16 after opening the year wrestling at 170 and 182.
1. Kellen Whitney, Hammonton (16-2)
2. Gerardo Jorge, Southern Regional (16-6)
3. Ryan Kirk, Barnegat (14-5)
St. Augustine Prep's Tyler Sentman had two pins as the Prep swept a tri-match with Hammonton and Williamstown on Saturday. Atlantic City's Cesar Balmaceda won a 13-4 major decision against St. Joseph's C.J. LaFragola in a matchup of District 32 placewinners (LaFragola was at Holy Spirit last season). Lacey Township's Luke Fernandez won a 6-3 decision against District 24 runner-up Antres Clagon of Central Regional on Saturday and added two more pins in the quad.
1. Tyler Sentman, St. Augustine Prep (18-3)
2. Cesar Balmaceda, Atlantic City (17-0)
3. Luke Fernandez, Lacey Township (20-1)
Hammonton's David Williams is one of three unbeaten area wrestlers. Williams has picked up bonus points in 18 of his 21 matches this season with 12 pins. Williams and St. Augustine Prep's James Bennett were less than a minute into their match Saturday when Bennett came down awkwardly on his shoulder and had to injury default. Oakcrest's John Benard moves into the rankings after winning a 6-3 decision against Vineland's Tiawahn Cosby on Saturday.
1. David Williams, Hammonton (21-0)
2. James Bennett, St. Augustine Prep (13-8)
3. John Benard, Oakcrest (17-5)
Millville's Ed Shockley lost a 6-4 decision to Penns Grove's Nick Elmer on Saturday. Shockely has 11 pins this season. Lower Cape May state qualifier Cory Damiana had a 20-second pin in Lower's loss to Buena Regional on Jan. 16 and picked up three more first-period pins on Saturday. Hammonton's Brandon Beebe is 18-0 this season against wrestlers not named Ed Shockley. All three of Beebe's losses have come to the Millville junior.
1. Ed Shockley, Millville (19-2)
2. Cory Damiana, Lower Cape May Regional (18-5)
3. Brandon Beebe, Hammonton (18-3)
St. Joseph's Roy Lucas has gone a full six minutes just twice this season. Lucas has 13 pins and four forfeits. Egg Harbor Township's Nigel Toussaint had two pins and a 6-3 deicison against Woodstown's Cylas Dorety. The loss was Dorety's second this season with the other coming to St. Joseph's Lucas. Ocean City's John Johnson moves from second in the rankings at 285 to third at 220. Johnson is a perfect 7-0 with four pins and three forfeits since dropping to 220.
1. Roy Lucas, St. Joseph (19-0)
2. Nigel Toussaint, Egg Harbor Township (19-1)
3. Josh Johnson, Ocean City (16-3)
St. Augustine Prep's Tom Lynd won a 6-2 decision against Hammonton's Bobby Frederico on Saturday. The loss was Frederico's first this season. Lynd and Frederico each pinned Williamstown's Darius Boyer in the other portion of the tri-meet.
1. Tom Lynd, St. Augustine Prep (18-2)
2. Robert Frederico, Hammonton (21-1)
3. Cody Smead, Southern Regional (14-7)