Temporary housing assistance for nearly 3,000 New Jersey residents displaced by Hurricane Sandy has been extended through Dec. 13, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Spokesman Paul Gardner said Thursday that the program was extended at the request of the state. There are 2,824 displaced people in the program, he said.
Those in the program have stayed in motels and other accommodations while their homes are repaired. The funds were set to expire Wednesday, leading to concern that storm victims would be left homeless.
A number of evacuees reported that their funding had been extended Wednesday afternoon.