ATLANTIC CITY - Mayor Lorenzo Langford and other city officials said this morning they want to handle evacuation of the resort independently after glitches in communication caused some of the city's most vulnerable residents to be bounced among multiple offshore shelters and, in some cases, unaccounted for during Hurricane Irene.

Those problems could have had dire consequences if the storm had been as bad as forecasted, Director of the city's Office of Emergency Management director Tom Foley said, pointing to accountability failures in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

About 98 percent of the city's 40,000 residents were evacuated over a 40-hour period starting 6 a.m. Aug. 26, when a full, mandatory evacuation took effect. Although no one was hurt, some severely disabled residents were moved between as many as five or six shelters, Foley said.

To resolve that, the city might establish its own shelters by contracting with offshore facilities, but hasn't identified potential sites, he said.

Officials also haven't come up with cost estimates - that's going to be part of the analysis, Deputy Police Chief Ernest Jubilee said.

Locations