An Atlantic City boxer accused in a carjacking this weekend has turned himself in to police.

Qa’id Muhammad, 23, won his eighth professional boxing match Nov. 3. But just more than a week later, he allegedly attacked a man and stole his car.

Muhammad’s father and manager, Abdur Rahim Muhammad, previously told The Press of Atlantic City that his son did not commit the crime and that it was a case of mistaken identity.

Warrants for first-degree carjacking and simple assault were signed against the boxer — an alternate on the 2008 U.S. Olympic team — on Sunday.

The older Muhammad said his son was waiting to turn himself in until he could track down the person he believes committed the crime. He said his son was trying to avoid being jailed and having to post bail.

But sometime Wednesday evening, Qa’id Muhammad came into the Public Safety Building with his lawyer and turned himself in, Sgt. Monica McMenamin said. His bail was set at $100,000.

The suspect’s father could not be reached for comment.

Just after a story appeared on The Press’ website Tuesday, Qa’id Muhammad sent a Facebook message to the reporter saying the story wasn’t true and insisting he would clear his name.

Muhammad is accused of striking the victim numerous times in the head and torso and physically removing him from the vehicle. As the carjacker drove off, the victim clung to the doorway. The victim’s name has not been released.

The victim suffered a closed-head injury and numerous lacerations and abrasions.

The car was found crashed and unoccupied a short time later.

Contact Lynda Cohen:

609-272-7257

Follow Lynda Cohen on Twitter @LyndaCohen