The National Flood Insurance Program has extended the deadline by six months to file claims or proof of loss in connection with Hurricane Sandy
The NFIP had already extended the deadline from 60 days following an event to a full year. The new deadline is now April 28, 2014.
“This is good news for New Jerseyans who are still in the process of settling their flood insurance claims related to Superstorm Sandy,” Gov. Chris Christie said in a statement. “My Administration has been in contact with the NFIP to discuss the need for this extension and I am gratified that they listened and understood our concerns. I commend the NFIP for taking this action.”
If homeowners find additional damage from Sandy’s floodwaters that may have initially gone undetected, they are still eligible to file a supplemental flood insurance claim until the new deadline.
“This unprecedented storm has taken a tremendous toll on those New Jerseyans trying to rebuild and recover,” state Department of Banking and Insurance Commissioner Ken Kobylowski said in a statement. “The NFIP’s decision to extend their proof of loss filing deadline reflects the reality that New Jersey residents are still working hard and struggling to get all the information they need for filing a complete flood claim.”
A statement from U.S. Rep. Frank LoBiondo said he “applauds the decision which will provide some peace of mind for South Jersey residents still recovering from Sandy.”
Contact Steven Lemongello:
Follow Steven Lemongello on Twitter @SteveLemongello