VENTNOR — A 93-year-old man has been added to the list of Hurricane Sandy victims released by the state.
Walter Schoepfer died Nov. 6 — a week after falling on the steps of his North Newport Avenue home.
Police said Schoepfer was walking down the stairs just after 2 p.m. Oct. 30, when he fell and was taken to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center’s City Campus. He died Nov. 6.
Ventnor did not originally have Schoepfer listed as a storm casualty, as the death was not believed a result of the storm, police Chief Michael Miller said.
The flood waters had receded by that time, and it was not high tide.
However, a list being kept by the state included Schoepfer as a storm-related death.
A Brigantine man had been the only Atlantic County death directly linked to the storm.
Lester Kaplan, 73, was found unconscious inside his flooded Lafayette Boulevard home Nov. 2, after family members came to check on the man, who had refused to evacuate.
He went into cardiac arrest on the way to the hospital and was pronounced dead there. The cause of death was hypothermia.
Contact Lynda Cohen:
Follow Lynda Cohen on Twitter @LyndaCohen