Police said Sunday that a fire that started in an electrical outlet damaged the rear porch of a Shore Road home.
Passersby Vasileios Mantikas, of Somers Pont, stopped when he smelled smoke on his way to work. He called for help and said he "was just banging on everything to try and get (the homeowner's ) attention."
Police and fire crews were called to the home after 6:30 a.m. Sunday. Police entered the home to get any occupants out, but no one was inside the residence.
No one was injured in the blaze and the damage was limited to a rear porch, police said.