A man who was living under the Atlantic City Boardwalk was injured by a fire he apparently sparked Monday night after lighting a candle.
Firefighters were called to Central Pier in the 1400 block at 11:35 p.m., and found debris on fire, Deputy Chief Vincent Granese said. They were on the scene for about 90 minutes, checking for hot spots.
Originally fire officials believed it was a mattress that was burning, but Granese later said it was “a lot of debris.”
It was determined the homeless man, identified as Thomas Parmer, 48, had lit a candle.
Around midnight, Parmer walked into the AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center's City Campus with severe burns to his hands and face, Sgt. Monica McMenamin said.
He told medical staff he had been injured in a fire under the Boardwalk.
Parmer has been admitted to the hospital for treatment.
He was questioned by an arson investigator, Granese said. No charges have been filed at this point.
Contact Lynda Cohen:
Follow Lynda Cohen on Twitter @LyndaCohen