A Narcan kit is carried by some police officers and rescue personnel to a administer potentially lifesaving antidote to heroin.
- HIPAA rules
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act allows disclosure of protected health information to law enforcement with the patient’s/guardian’s signed authorization; however, hospitals disclose this information to law enforcement without the individual’s signed authorization in certain incidents, including:
* to a law-enforcement official reasonably able to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the health or safety of an individual or the public.
that the covered entity in good faith believes to be evidence of a crime that occurred on the premises of the covered entity.
* to alert law enforcement to the death of the individual when there is a suspicion that death resulted from criminal conduct.
when responding to an off-site medical emergency, as necessary to alert law enforcement to criminal activity.
* to law enforcement when required by law to do so (such as reporting gunshots or stab wounds).
* to comply with a court order or court-ordered warrant, a subpoena or summons issued by a judicial officer, or an administrative request from a law-enforcement official (the administrative request must include a written statement that the information requested is relevant and material, specific and limited in scope, and de-identified information cannot be used).
* to respond to a request for personal health information for purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person, but the information must be limited to basic demographic and health information about the person.
* to respond to a request for personal health information about an adult victim of a crime when the victim agrees (or in limited circumstances if the individual is unable to agree). Child abuse or neglect may be reported, without a parent’s agreement, to any law-enforcement official authorized by law to receive such reports.
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:08 pm
Atlantic County News,
Cape May County News,
Cumberland County News,
Ocean County News,
Today's Top Stories
Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:08 pm.