Avalon firefighters extinguished a house fire caused by a lightning strike early Sunday morning.

The Avalon Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire on a two-story home on 27th Street at 1:30 a.m. The fire started when lightning struck the fireplace which awakened the residents who then smelled smoke.

A fire had started in the chimney and was fueled by a gas leak in the line that was compromised from the lightning.

Avalon and StoneHarbor firefighters extinguished the blaze under heavy rain and lightning and no injuries were reported.

Never miss breaking news as it happens! Sign up now to receive alerts delivered to your inbox.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.