Avalon firefighters extinguished a house fire caused by a lightning strike early Sunday morning.

The Avalon Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire on a two-story home on 27th Street at 1:30 a.m. The fire started when lightning struck the fireplace which awakened the residents who then smelled smoke.

A fire had started in the chimney and was fueled by a gas leak in the line that was compromised from the lightning.

Avalon and StoneHarbor firefighters extinguished the blaze under heavy rain and lightning and no injuries were reported.