A Millville man is being treated at South Jersey Regional Medical Center in Vineland after sustaining severe burns in a fire Monday at the Riverview East senior citizen high rise building.

The Millville Fire Department received a report of a fire inside a unit on the seventh floor of the housing facility at 6:17 p.m., Firefighter Steven Alcorn said. The fire was under control by 6:40. A female occupant of the unit was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation, and another senior woman in the lobby was taken to the hospital due to stress.

Alcorn said the occupants of the unit were cooking with grease when it caught fire. They threw water on the flame, which caused the fire to spread, burning the man. The fire was confined to the stove area, Alcorn said.

Alcorn said he believes the woman was suffering from minor smoke inhalation but said the man “was burnt pretty” badly and would likely need treatment at a burn center. He did not know the status of the second woman but said her illness was likely due to the excitement of the situation.

The names of the victims were not released.

Contact Braden Campbell:

609-463-6719