MILLVILLE - An hours-long standoff between authorities and a robbery suspect ended peacefully Wednesday morning when the suspect surrendered to State Police.

Authorities said the incident began after Carl A. Cundiff, 28, of the 500 block of North Second Street, allegedly shot at a man he tried to rob near the Save-a-Lot market parking lot on High Street around 1:35 a.m.

Authorities said they eventually found a handgun that was "consistent" with a statement from the robbery victim, 49-year-old Adam L. Waters of North High Street.

Latest Video

The incident ended after members of a special State Police team - all wearing body armor and using armored vehicles for protection - talked Cundiff out of his house around 9:30 a.m. Witnesses said Cundiff was yelling at authorities as they led him from the house.

Cundiff and another man, who police said they wouldn't identify pending further investigation, were led handcuffed from the house down North Second Street to waiting police cruisers, which whisked them away from the scene. Both men walked between a variety of police cruisers, ambulances and other emergency vehicles that filled North Second Street between Vine and Broad streets.

No one was injured, police said.

"They did a good job," said Norm Franckle, an undersheriff with the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department, which provided back-up at the scene.

Police charged Cundiff with possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, robbery and aggravated assault with a weapon. Bail was to be set by a Superior Court judge, police said.

According to a statement issued by city police, Officer Nelson Ferrar was patrolling the Sav-a-Lot parking lot when Waters flagged him down. Waters told him he was a robbery victim and that his assailant shot at him, police said.

Police said additional patrol units were sent to the area, found two people who witnessed the shooting and eventually learned that Cundiff had fled to his North Second Street home. City police said their attempts to make contact with people inside the house met with "negative results."

City police said they eventually set up a perimeter around the Cundiff property. Several nearby residents, who wouldn't give their names, said authorities had set up yellow crime scene tape around the property by 6 a.m. They said North Second Street was eventually closed between Vine and Broad streets by 8 a.m.

Luis Gonzalez, who lives across the street from Cundiff's house, said he didn't realize anything was happening until he looked out a window shortly before 9 a.m. He said he went outside to see what was happening.

"The cops told me to go back in the house," Gonzalez said.

Neither Gonzalez nor other residents in the area said they knew Cundiff.

Meanwhile, city police said they got a warrant to search Cundiff's home and contacted the State Police unit to execute the search warrant.

"(The State Police) unit was able to make contact with the residents," a police statement reads. "Two males exited the residence in a method consistent with a high-risk stop."

State Police turned Cundiff and the other man over to local authorities.

The scene was cleared shortly after 10 a.m.

Units from the city's Streets and Roads Department and the state Department of Transportation were also on hand to help with traffic control.

Contact Thomas Barlas:




Recommended for you

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.