New Jersey firefighters again are warning residents of the dangers of hoverboard fires.
Long Branch Professional Firefighters Association - FMBA Local 68.
On Thursday, firefighters responded to a garbage truck fire in the Elberon section of the Monmouth County town. Ater the fire was extinguished, the origin was determined to be from a malfunctioning hoverboard, according to a Facebook post by Local 68.
With hoverboards often becoming the cause of fires in recent years, FMBA Local 68 wanted to share tips on how to prevent a hoverboard fire, the post said.
Firefighters offered tips about preventing hoverboard fires:
1) Only use the original battery charger.
2) If at all possible recharge your hoverboard outdoors.
3) Don't charge it while you're sleeping.
4) Don't use a damaged hoverboard as damaged lithium-polymer batteries are particularly prone to fires.
5) Try not to leave a charging hoverboard unattended.
According to the National Waste & Recycling Association, the proper way to dispose of a hoverboard is to bring it to your local electronics recycling center and to NOT place them in your garbage or recycling cans, the firefighters association said.