EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP — An eight-hour standoff with police ended when a man who had barricaded himself in his West Atlantic City home surrendered, police said.

Police said Frank Wagenhoffer was being taken to a local hospital after the incident, which was the result of a domestic dispute.

The standoff closed part of the Black Horse Pike in both directions for hours Tuesday as negotiators worked to resolve the situation.

Latest Video

Police responded to a report at 3:45 p.m. that a 49-year-old man had barricaded himself in his home with a knife and had threatened to harm himself or others, according to Detective Capt. Christopher Ruef. The victim, who made the complaint, fled the residence prior to the police’s arrival.

During the standoff, police said the man was believed to be in possession of a shotgun. Two long guns were recovered from the garage area of the residence on the Black Horse Pike near West Plaza Place.

Surrounding residences were evacuated within an hour of the original police call. Traffic was still being diverted along a portion of the Black Horse Pike as of 9:45 p.m. Eastbound lanes were closed at Franklin Avenue in Pleasantville.

Police were at the eastern corner of the intersection of West Plaza and the Black Horse Pike in the West Atlantic City section of Egg Harbor Township.

During the standoff, a number of officers had guns drawn on the house, with at least one more on the roof of a neighboring home. Officers in full body armor arrived on the scene carrying assault rifles; they were followed by mobile response units, as well as an armored vehicle from the Atlantic County Emergency Response Team.

Egg Harbor Township police evacuated nearby homes. At least one family fled with their children.

Neighbor Karen Wilson, 29, said she was going to pick up a child when she saw police converge on her neighborhood. She said that the kids at the bus stop were running toward the scene and she tried to stop them.

“We got word that there were people in there with machetes, shotguns and swords,” she said. “They’re not coming out.”

Samuel Johnson, 18, of Mays Landing, was doing construction on a house nearby.

“A lot of cops rolled up and pulled out guns,” he said.

He said that two or three officers were pointing a gun at someone on the ground, and about 15 officers came around the corner. They pulled out guns, he said.

Contact Wallace McKelvey:


Follow @wjmckelvey on Twitter

Never miss breaking news as it happens! Sign up now to receive alerts delivered to your inbox.


Recommended for you

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.