Temporary housing assistance, which was slated to expire Saturday for nearly 500 New Jersey residents displaced by Hurricane Sandy, has been extended through April 5, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The program, which houses people displaced by the storm in hotels and motels, has been extended several times as the need persists.

At the request of Gov. Chris Christie’s office, the program has been extended for an additional 14 days. The extension means recipients will receive assistance through April 5, with a check-out date of April 6.

Latest Video

““We will continue to request extensions until all families in the program have a safe, suitable housing solution,” Christie said in a statement.

FEMA spokeswoman Robin Smith said 490 people are currently using the program statewide. A total of 5,544 people have been housed since the storm, she said.

More recent countywide figures were not immediately available, but as of last week 263 people were still using the program in Ocean County, 118 people in Atlantic County and 19 in Cape May County.

Contact Wallace McKelvey:

609-272-7256

WMcKelvey@pressofac.com

Follow Wallace McKelvey on Twitter @wjmckelvey

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.