A lit candle and an oil-burning lamp each caused a fire in a home in Hamilton Township between Monday night and Tuesday morning, and fire officials are asking residents who are still without power to be careful.
The first fire occurred at a home on the 6000 block of Main Street at 10:33 p.m. Monday. A candle on top of a dryer ignited nearby clothing, which sparked a blaze in the rear of the home, police said in a release.
Fire companies from Mays Landing, Laureldale and Cologne and the township's rescue squad worked at the scene, police said, and firefighters were able to save the house. The rear area did suffer severe damage, however.
The second fire occurred at 1:52 a.m. Tuesday in the 6400 block of Garfield Avenue and ultimately destroyed the home, police said.
The resident, James Gabrysz, was using an oil-burning lamp that set fire to the rest of the house. He was able to escape the fire but was transported to South Jersey Regional Medical Center in Vineland for smoke inhalation, police said.
The Mizpah Volunteer Fire Company responded and was assisted by engines from the Weymouth, Mays Landing, Richland and East Vineland volunteer fire companies, in addition to rescue squads from Hamilton Township and Dorothy EMS, police said.
The fire was extinguished by 4 a.m. Tuesday, police said.
Residents from both houses had to relocate and were being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Both of the homes were without power due to Saturday morning's storm, police said.
Officials are asking residents to use caution with candles, not leave them unattended, extinguish them when sleeping and place them away from flammable materials.
Contact Joel Landau:
Follow Joel Landau on Twitter @landaupressofac