A malfunction in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system at Upper Township Primary School has led to the growth of mold, Superintendent Vincent Palmieri Jr. said.

The district noticed the mold, which officials said was created by an excess buildup of moisture, on Aug. 15. Indoor air quality experts took air and surface samples and issued recommendations, which the school district says it is following.

The school is safe and does not need to be unoccupied during the corrective activities, according to a release from the school district.

Some activities will be temporary relocated to the elementary school. Summer staff members with histories of allergies, asthma or respiratory conditions will be allowed to finish their work elsewhere in the district.

“The District has already deemed this situation as our top priority and will continue to monitor our progress on an hourly basis,” the release said.

As of Tuesday, the growth had decreased dramatically when compared with the Aug. 16 testing, the district said.

Contact David Simpson:

609-272-7204