A malfunctioning wood stove may have started the fire early Saturday in a home on the 500 block of Cologne Avenue in Galloway Township, the township fire marshal said.

A man at the Germania section residence called in the fire at 2:23 a.m., Fire Marshal Ron Garbutt said. The first units arrived a few minutes later. Firefighters from the Germania, Pomona and South Egg Harbor fire companies had the fire out by 3 a.m.

The man reported that the smoke alarm awakened him as the house was filling with smoke. He extinguished the fire in the wood stove and called the fire department when he saw the wall had caught fire, Garbutt said.

Latest Video

Garbutt said two men live in the house, but he did not have their names. Neighboring homes were not damaged, and no one was injured, he said.

The fire left the home uninhabitable but reparable, Garbutt said.

Contact Braden Campbell:

609-463-6719

BCampbell@pressofac.com

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.