ATLANTIC CITY — A former city police chief has settled his lawsuit with the city for $2.3 million, following allegations he was wrongfully demoted from his position.

The settlement, which city and state officials confirmed Wednesday, was reached at a conference with Superior Court Judge Julio Mendez on Aug. 14 and was approved last week.

City Council President Marty Small said the $2.3 million was negotiated and approved by the state. Any time there’s a settlement of that caliber, Small said, it’s a “hit” to the city and taxpayers.

Latest Video

“This was a case that’s been going on for a while. I’m just glad that we could put this behind us and move forward,” Small said.

An attorney representing former Chief John Mooney could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Mooney’s lawsuit alleged former Mayor Lorenzo Langford and his administration retaliated against Mooney in 2010, planning to demote him as chief to try to cut city costs. Mooney resigned before his demotion in May 2010 and sued the city for breach of contract.

In a 2013 trial, Mooney testified to a series of incidents in 2009 and 2010 that he said took place during Langford’s administration, including possibly illegal behavior by city officials, such as the then-mayor and then- public safety director.

A jury found in 2013 that his demotion was retaliation for whistleblowing on city administration and awarded him more than $3.7 million. A state appellate court later ruled the city did not have to pay Mooney.

The litigation has spent several years at various levels of the justice system, Small said.

In a statement on the settlement, Department of Community Affairs spokeswoman Lisa Ryan said the case was going to be retried with the possibility of a new jury awarding more money.

“The lawsuit brought by Chief Mooney was one of several matters and problems created by prior city administrations and which unfortunately need to be paid for today,” Ryan said. “The settlement reached with Chief Mooney was a significant reduction from what the jury awarded him originally.”

Never miss breaking news as it happens! Sign up now to receive alerts delivered to your inbox.

Contact

: 609-272-7239 eserpico@pressofac.com Twitter @ACPressSerpico

Covering breaking news for The Press of Atlantic City since September 2016. Graduate of the University of Maryland, Central Jersey native.

Recommended for you

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.