SOMERS POINT — A gas leak prompted a nearly two-hour evacuation Monday morning of Jordan Road School, officials said.
“I got a phone call about 7:30 that a couple of teachers smelled gas in the building,” Interim Superintendent Thomas Baruffi said.
Baruffi said he also received a call from Principal Susan Dugan and told her to evacuate the school.
Students, teachers and staff moved to the blacktop playground behind the school. Nobody was hurt, Baruffi said.
The Fire Department and South Jersey Gas were called in to go through the building and determined the cause to be a regulator.
“The gas company found there was a leak for a rooftop unit. It was near a vent that caused the smell in the gym,” Baruffi said.
South Jersey Gas shut off the gas and removed the regulator. Students were able to re-enter the building about 9:20 a.m. after gas company officials deemed it was safe, Baruffi said.
Many parents lined the fence that surrounded the playground, wondering what was happening at the school.
“If there was any legitimate worry, we’d be farther than back here,” said Somers Point Board of Education President Wes Kazmarck, pointing to the playground area.
Kazmarck has two children in the school, an 11-year-old daughter and an 8-year-old son.
“It’s better safe than sorry,” he said.
The Jordan Road School, constructed in 1966 with an addition in 1991, houses about 545 students in kindergarten through eighth grade, according to the school district’s website.