Residents who have been displaced by Hurricane Sandy and are currently staying in a shelter may be eligible for Federal Emergency Management Agency assistance for a temporary place to live while their current homes are being repaired or until they find a new home.

If you have been displaced and currently are staying in a shelter call FEMA at 800-621-3362 or go to to register online. For those with communication disabilities, call 800-462-7585 (TTY); or for those using 711 or VRS, 800-621-3362.

If you have the ability to register online, please do so in order to lessen the load on the phone systems.

Latest Video

In order to be eligible for the transitional sheltering aid:

* You must register with FEMA

* You must pass identity verification

* Your pre-disaster primary residence must be located in an area designated for transitional housing assistance and your occupancy has to have been verified

* You must be displaced from your residence due to Hurricane Sandy and currently staying in a shelter

This type of federal aid is supposed to provide a place to stay for a specific time period. The program will not reimburse money already spent on hotel expenses and if you are granted the aid, you are responsible for your own meals and lodging costs above the authorized allowance.

FEMA also is providing grants for temporary housing, home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs.

Sarah Watson


Recommended for you

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.