More than two dozen parolees — including 17 Tier 1 sex offenders — were being moved out of Atlantic City on Tuesday after an investigation revealed they had been placed there, Mayor Lorenzo Langford told residents in Venice Park.

The Sunset Inn at 1600 Absecon Boulevard had 31 paroled convicts staying there without the city being notified, Langford said, addressing the Venice Park Civic Association about the “rumor” that had been going around.

“That was not a rumor,” the mayor said.

Instead, after “a little birdie” told him of the new motel residents last Thursday, an investigation Friday revealed it was true and that the parolees included 17 of those listed as Tier 1 sex offenders, meaning they are the least likely to re-offend under Megan’s Law.

According to the state Department of Corrections, the move was made by the State Parole Board. A representative could not be reached for comment.

“The good news is, at approximately 2 p.m., the first 17 were put on a bus and moved out of Atlantic City,” Langford said. “The last information I received was, they were passing through Mays Landing on their way to ‘parts unknown.’”

He said at 4 p.m., another dozen were put on a bus out of Atlantic City. As of 6:45 p.m., he was still awaiting a call to confirm the last two were sent away.

“This isn’t over,” Langford said. “I’m not going to rest until I find out the genesis of what this came from. (The number of parolees) to me seems a concerted effort by some agency somewhere.”

Residents at Tuesday’s meeting were also warned of recent break-ins in the area.

Police Officer Bob Berg told residents to look out for three males between 16 and 20 years old with thin builds. One has a light complexion and one has dreadlocks. The “lookout” has a pit bull, he added.

The suspects are believed to be coming to homes pretending to ask for someone. If no one is home, one sneaks around back and comes in through the air-conditioning space.

“You definitely want to use 911,” Sgt. Monica McMenamin. “Be nosey and call right away.”

Chief Ernest Jubilee has put a special detail in the area to address the issue, she added.

Anyone with information is also asked to use the tip411 system, texting 847411 and beginning with ACPD.

Also at the meeting, Langford told residents work is set to begin Thursday on the closed Ohio Avenue bridge. City Council will vote on the $902,000 project tonight.

The work is expected to take four to six weeks, the mayor said.

Originally, the work was to be expedited, but that cost came in at $1.2 million “so we had to slow our roll” and use a more 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. work schedule, the mayor said.

Contact Lynda Cohen:

609-272-7257

Follow Lynda Cohen on Twitter @LyndaCohen

Senior copy editor for the Press of Atlantic City. Have worked as a reporter, copy editor and news editor with the paper since 1985. A graduate of the University of Delaware.