Atlantic City’s police and fire unions are possibly facing severe cuts under the state takeover. Both departments were told during negotiations last week that the state was looking to extend their hours per shift and possibly cut jobs. Dec. 30, 2016 (Craig Matthews / Staff Photographer)

Craig Matthews / Staff Photographer

ATLANTIC CITY — State overseers have informed the city’s Fire Department it will start its new 56-hour workweek schedule Sunday.

Bill DiLorenzo, president of International Association of Fire Fighters Local 198, said the union was notified of the change late Friday afternoon. The department had worked 42 hours in a week.

Former U.S. Sen. Jeff Chiesa, the city’s state-appointed overseer, made the change to cut costs.

Latest Video

Chiesa also changed health insurance coverage, cut staff 25 percent and reduced pay 20 percent as the state looks to balance the city budget.

The union said Fire Chief Scott Evans had asked for eight days’ notice before the changes would become effective.

What is next for Revel? - The Atlantic City Story Episode #19

“We asked for more time to discuss the different schedules that were being proposed by the state,” DiLorenzo said. “Increasing the workweek in one of the busiest fire departments in New Jersey by 35 percent, while simultaneously implementing severe pay and benefit cuts, is having serious effects on the mental well-being of firefighters.”

Lisa Ryan, spokeswoman for the state Department of Community Affairs, said its last meeting with the union forged an agreement that the new schedule would begin Sunday.

“The fire union had until June 6 to decide between which of two shifts would go into place,” Ryan said. “They could not come to a consensus as to which of the two types of shifts they wanted, and so the acting state fire marshal and state monitor for Atlantic City chose and so advised fire Chief Evans. This is not the first time battalion Chief DiLorenzo has misrepresented the facts.”

The fire union challenged the cuts in court and is scheduled June 26 to be back in front of Atlantic County Superior Court Judge Julio Mendez.

“Meanwhile, our budget is $2 million lower than it was 32 years ago, in 1985, and we’re responding to 5,000 more calls than we did at that time,” DiLorenzo said. “How can these drastic changes be reasonable and maintain the same level of safety as the stabilization act demands?”

Contact: 609-272-7046 NHuba@pressofac.com Twitter @acpresshuba

0
0
0
0
0

Started working in newsrooms when I was 17 years old. Spent 15 years working for Gannett New Jersey before coming to The Press of Atlantic City in April 2015.

Recommended for you

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.