WEST CAPE MAY — A chimney fire caused minor damage to a Stimpson Lane house on Saturday afternoon.

“We got on it pretty quick. Flames were coming out the top of the chimney and smoke was pouring out of the mortar holes and the flashing,” said Fire Chief Chuck McPherson.

The alarm sounded at 12:26 p.m. at 117 Stimpson Lane, the West Cape May side of the street. The other side is Lower Township. Firefighters from West Cape May and Cape May Point responded.

The fire was extinguished and the chimney was cleaned. McPherson said the homeowner now plans to install a stainless steel chimney liner to avoid a similar incident. Fires can go through mortar and burn adjacent walls.

The fire reached the roof near the chimney flashing but McPherson said damages are likely below $500.