A weekly update of stories previously reported.

Twenty-seven months ago: Two suspects indicted in fatal shooting in Vineland

Twenty-one-year-old Vineland resident Jason Candelaria was fatally shot in the head while sitting in the back seat of a car in the parking lot of a liquor store on North Delsea Drive in May 2011.

Authorities identified two suspects, Manuel Ortiz Jr., now 23, and Jorge Gonzalez, now 20, in the shooting, but the two Vineland residents fled the area.

Ortiz was located in Connecticut a month after the incident, but it took another year before Gonzalez was located in Philadelphia.

A grand jury indicted both on murder, conspiracy, hindering and weapons charges July 26.

Both are now in Cumberland County jail as they await a trial date.

One month ago: State suspends oyster harvest in Delaware Bay

On July 19, the N.J. Department of Environmental Protection announced it suspended the oyster harvest from the Shell Rock Oyster Beds in the Delaware Bay off the coast of Cape May, Cumberland and Salem counties.

The department reported two instances of illnesses among humans for the bacteria vibrio parahaemolyticus, which has been attributed to this area.

On Thursday, the department announced it reopened the area for harvest after determining the shellfish from the oyster beds are now safe.

The department noted analysis of shellfish samples, lack of additional reported illnesses and changes in environmental factors that prohibit the bacteria as reasons to allow the harvesting.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported the bacteria lives in brackish salt water and causes gastrointestinal illness in humans. It has a higher concentration in the summer.

Nine months ago: Millville church damaged in fire

Just a few hours before a planned Christmas dinner for residents of Center City Millville, a fire badly damaged the In His Presence Worship Center on Broad Street. The Dec. 22 fire caused the church members to find an alternate location for its services.

The church was dealt another blow in March when thieves broke into the church and ransacked the remains of the building.

Church officials reported the building's doors were kicked in and intruders stole copper pipes, heating vents, circulation pumps and other materials that could be sold for scrap.

The damaged site is now demolished and cleared, and the congregants are looking ahead to a rebuilt facility.

The Rev. David Ennis, who founded the church a decade ago, said the church community is reviewing architectural designs and they hope to start construction in November. The new church building should be ready by next spring, he said.

The plans are moving along and Ennis said the design of the new building will be different than the old one. The church plans to do more programs with youth outreach and the building will be designed to accommodate these new activities more easily.

Contact Joel Landau:

609-272-7215

@landaupressofac on Twitter