Residents who applied for two grant programs paid for through the $60 billion disaster aid bill approved by Congress in January will begin finding out whether they were approved or rejected next week.
The Department of Community Affairs, which is handling the two grants, said letters notifying applicants will be mailed out beginning the week of July 8.
Letters will tell applicants whether they received a grant, whether they were not eligible or whether they will be put on a waiting list, the agency said in a news release.
Homeowners who are most in need will be the first to get the two grants, which include up to $150,000 for raising, elevating or repairing homes damaged during Hurricane Sandy, or $10,000 "resettlement" grants for nonconstruction costs as an incentive for homeowners to remain in their storm-damaged communities. Low- to moderate-income homeowners, along with those who suffered the most damage, will have priority.
Up to 6,000 rebuilding grants and 18,000 resettlement grants are available. As of last week, nearly 10,000 applications for rebuilding grants and 12,000 resettlement grants had been filed.
While the initial deadline for applying has passed, the DCA said residents still can apply, but their applications won't be processed until the first group has been assessed.
Another round of grant money is expected to be announced this fall.
Contact Sarah Watson:
Follow on Twitter @acpresssarah